Thursday, 28 February 2008

Spineless journalists FTL!

It isn't that I want Prince Harry dead or anything like that, but I have a very, very bitter taste in my mouth right now over how this story, broken - albeit not where anybody noticed - early in January and subsequently seized on by the Drudge Report, has been handled.

Essentially, in conspiring to hold back the story, the entire British media has bent over and allowed themselves to be held in thrall and have their editorial agenda dictated to them by the Royal Family, an institution most of them fall over themselves to persecute to the ends of the earth.

Sure, there's a pretty good case for saying that had we all known that Prince Harry had been on the frontline for ten weeks you the Taliban would have known as well and it would have been great ammunition for them to go after the Prince's unit. They sure as hell know it now, but I noticed that none of the news reports I've yet seen today have been talking about bringing him home before he gets an entire platoon killed.

But the cloak and dagger conspiracy to mislead 61 million people is utterly hypocritical, and that's where I have a problem.

The obvious solution seems to have been to never let him go in the first place. Actually the solution is to have never gone to war in the first place, and the other solution, hiding behind the first two, is to do away with the monarchy altogether, but that's a whole other story for another day.

1 comment:

chinawolf said...

Obviously, I'm not in journalism so I only have a layman's opinion on this. Plus, I don't care as much about the monarchy as a concept as you do - the Windsors are just something England has to me, and I'm sure they'd be just as (un)important to me personally if the monarchy was ended for good. But I have to say that I've always felt bad for the kids of famous families in general - about how normal life just isn't a possibility for them, and so I for one was glad that the British media decided to not report it. Nothing would have been gained by reporting it, would it? There are hundreds of thousands of stories out there every day that could get written, but don't for some reason or other. Here, there was a great concern for Harry's whole platoon's (or whatever) safety, and while I admit he could have chosen a career that would have been easier for him to be 'normal' in, I'm glad he got the time he had in Afghanistan. Of course, it might have helped that the very first report I read about it was the BBC Editors' blog explaining their reasons for the blackout. Besides, every story I read about it - admittedly not that many - seemed to implicate that he'd probably be brought home very soon now that the secret's out.